Monday, January 28, 2008

Pick a little, talk a little....

Today with one of my CE1 classes we were finishing up an activity from Martin Luther King Day that I found online. They had to draw hands in various colors that were associated with different values of MLK, one of which was love. So I translate love as amour for them, and one of the little girls calls me over. She and her friend kind of giggle, and then she whispers "N and I have amour. We kissed on the lips at his house." Awwww, young love. And I'm so glad she told me about that too. I always try to get my kids to give me the gossip. A lot of the time though I don't really need them to tell me, it's just really obvious. For example, in my monster class, it's really obvious that I and T like each other, and that B likes M but she doesn't like him that way. Unfortunately J and N in another of my CE1 classes seem to be over, they were super cute. It's kind of weird to think that it's pretty likely that most of these kids will end up marrying their classmates. We're talking about two tiny villages here, the pickings are kind of slim. I would be so interested to know how that all turns out!

I was in Chauny again this weekend, surprise! One of my favorite parts about going there is dishing out what happened that night after getting back from the ba at whatever early o'clock while sitting around the kitchen table eating everything in sight, and then doing it again the next morning. I just like talking and gossip I guess. Some gendarmes that we (I guess I can say we? I think they are my friends too) called us "piplettes," or little birds who chatter a lot. Yeah, that's me. When I'm old I'm totally going to be one of those town biddies who sit around and talk about everyone all day long.

Speaking of Chauny, they did end up coming to Soissons last Thursday, although Pantsless Neighbor was nowhere to be found. Another time, I hope. Unfortunately, I pulled one of my classic dumb moves that night and gave my number to this guy who I am totally uninterested in, and who keeps calling and texting me. I feel bad about the whole situation. So I think I'm just going to send him a text and say that there's someone else (not entirely untrue). Isn't that Jack Berger-ish of me? If SATC took place among teenagers or 20somethings rather than 30somethings he would totally have broken up with Carrie on a text message.

Today the maitresse of CM2 at one of my schools was sick and they didn't have a substitute so I only had one class there. I wonder if the Inspection is wary of subsitute teachers now? No updates on that situation by the way, but I hope to find something out tomorrow when I'm back at that school.

7 comments:

Rose said...

According to what I've been told, "remplacants" are only used for long-term things whereas if a teacher is just out sick for a few days, it's ok. My best teacher friend Alexia was out for a week with the flu (and then gave it to her son/my student! rar!) and only because she was out for that long was there a sub. But one day, c'est pas grave.

Ahhh more Pantsless Neighbor stories, tout de suite!!

BlondeInFrance said...

i too love the gossip. my life is kind of boring, so i have to find other people's stories to share with my friends at home or they are disappointed. my favorite right now is how my 21 year old boy roommate is going out with a 32 year old doctor, which i find a little odd, but most frenchies aren't even phased. but considering they apparently start mouth kissing in CE1, nothing could shock them!

shannon said...

I think the best Chauny scoop of the weekend is how the bar is apparently a family affair. Haha! Oh and the whole "someone else" thing... ;-)

Anonymous said...

I think that's so funny that you're hanging out with genderames. It's a great story to tell when you get back home! Too bad they aren't the kind of police that wear the traditional outfits, I think they are only relegated to patrolling parks now in Paris.

shannon said...

I just wanted to comment again to say that our gendarmes are super cool. They are gendarmes mobiles so they get to travel to cool places like the Cote d'Ivoire, Australia, and Corsica, just to name a few...

And I miss them already! J. was like the sweetest guy ever. Is it the end of February yet so that they can be back here?

Leah said...

Hmm, about giving out your number when you're not interested...I give out a fake! Haha, suckaaaaas. Yeah, I just change the last digit by a number so that way I don't mess it up and accidentally give out the real one, but it seems like a real one because I don't hesitate for the first 9 digits!

I would text the guy back because sometimes French guys will pester you non-stop for a reeeeeally long time if they are interested in you. Make up anything that'll cut him loose. Good luck!

au soleil levant said...

Rose - naturally, it just isn't a big deal if kids miss a few days of school. Whatever.

Andromeda - wow, what on earth does a 32 year old doctor see in a 21 year old?

Le Tigre, I think gendarmes are also responsible for guarding embassies. I know I've seen them in front of the American Embassy in Paris and a few others, but other than that they are confined to small towns and less inmportant jobs. But they are really nice guys.

Leah, thanks for the tip about changing one number, that way I won't feel so bad...