Monday, July 26, 2010

Moomers and Tall Ships


Moomers is the legendary local ice cream place in Traverse City. They were voted best ice cream shop by Good Morning America Weekend for their signature flavor, featuring - what else? - cherries!


Moomers is actually a few miles out of Traverse City and their adorable shop is right next to the fields where their dairy cows live.


Unfortunately Moomers only has this one little store, but you can buy their ice cream at other shops in the Traverse City area. Otherwise you can order it online and have it shipped to you. We can't figure out why they don't expand and sell their ice cream more widely because it is delicious! Super creamy, not artificially sugary at all, and the flavors are super creative.

The Traverse Tall Ship Company has several different themed cruises around the West Grand Traverse Bay in their tall ship Manitou, which is a replication of an 1800s schooner, complete with masts and sails and everything. They even offer a Moomers cruise where you can sample five different flavors and have a relaxing sail around the bay. This was hands down our favorite part of the trip! The sail/cruise/whatever you want to call it was so relaxing and enjoyable, the weather couldn't have been more perfect, the scenery was gorgeous, and we got to spy on the enormous multi-million dollar homes on Old Mission Peninsula.

On the Manitou








Nice views, huh?



One of the five samples. This one is chocolate peanut butter chunk. We also sampled blue moon (like a blue raspberry flavor), cookies and cream, black cherry, and a special flavor they make for the cruise called Manitou. It's coconut, chocolate chips, almond, and marshmellow swirl.


The pirate in the Tall Ship offices. Arrrrggg!!!


Wouldn't you like to live in one of these?

6 comments:

BlondeInFrance said...

An ice-cream pirate ship tour?? You are seriously not helping my homesickness, lol. I never really knew anything about Michigan before, other than lots of people come from it and it looks like a mitten. So this is really great that you're travelling all over it and sharing with us!

EconomicDisconnect said...

Oh wow! I love tall ships! Great pictures indeed.

Monique Geisler said...

omg ice cream :) It makes me so happy in the summer. And I don't know about you, but I got slightly sick on my boat ride on the 4th. Fun though!!

au soleil levant said...

Andromeda - hey, you know more about Michigan than most people! Usually when I tell people it looks like a mitten they give me a weird look, and I want to say "haven't you EVER looked at a map of the US?" Of course most of them probably haven't, but it would be rude to point that out.

GYSC - glad you like the pics!

Monique - ice cream is the best! Too bad you get sea sickness. I don't, which is actually kind of surprising, considering the fact that we were eating at the same time.

Anonymous said...

Lovely pictures! As you know, I'm not an ice-cream person but I'd take the ride on the boat anytime. You can have my ice-cream, I promise ;-)

au soleil levant said...

Zhu - I will totally pay for your boat ticket if you let me have your ice cream :)