Tuesday, September 7, 2010

Shanah Tovah!


Shanah tovah means "good year" in Hebrew. Rosh HaShanah, the Jewish New Year, starts tomorrow at sundown. Rosh HaShanah, along with Yom Kippur, is one of the high holidays - the two major Jewish holidays. It's a time for reflection and introspection, where we think about the year that has passed and resolve to make changes for the coming year. It's also a time of joyfulness and hope; we made it through one year and hope for all kinds of good things in the year to come. It's traditional to eat apples dipped in honey to symbolize a sweet new year. Honey cake is another sweet treat that many people enjoy at this time. Sadly, I'll be skipping the honey this year because of the risk of botulism.

And like all Jewish holidays, you're supposed to spend a considerable amount of time at the synagogue for religious services. Services are punctuated by the blowing of the shofar, a ram's horn, which can be seen and heard here. Yes, the shofar has broken through on youtube!



The sound of the shofar is supposed to call us to repentance and reflection. Isn't it a haunting sound? The shofar is my favorite part of the service.

Also an Eid Mubarak to all! I love it when everyone's holidays coincide. It reminds us that we're all more the same than we are different.

L'shanah tovah, and may we all be inscribed and sealed in the Book of Life for a good year!

8 comments:

Unknown said...

Shana tovah to you too!!! Wishing you a wonderful year ahead :)

Anonymous said...

Ah, that's the meaning of this holy day! One of my friend is taking the day off tomorrow and I was just about to ask her about it.

I've just realized I have never been inside a synagogue - I should, some day.

Gwan said...

Hi, hope you don't mind a comment from a stranger. I recently came across your blog (I'm an ex-assistant too) & wanted to say that you're a great writer as well as a strong and courageous person. Shanah tovah and all the best for the new year. As we say in New Zealand, kia kaha (be strong)! :)

EconomicDisconnect said...

Best wishes for year ahead!

au soleil levant said...

Sevonne - same to you! I know your year will be full of sweet, new things, lots to discover!

Zhu - hey, learn something new every day, right? There are probably some interesting, historical synagogues in Montreal, maybe Toronto too.

Gwan - thanks for stopping by! I appreciate your support. I also really needed to hear nice things about myself today, so it came along at an excellent time.

GYSC - thank you!

Animesh said...

Happy New Year! :)

au soleil levant said...

Thanks Animesh!

EconomicDisconnect said...

Inbox!