Wednesday, October 8, 2008

Second time around

Moving to France for the second time is so much better than the first time, mostly because my French is SO MUCH better than it was last time and I'm so much more confident speaking. I'm sure all the ladies at the circonscription offices comment often amongst themselves about the fact that this year I can actually communicate! And wow, once you get her going, she really talks! I love talking French these days so much that once I get going I keep going.

I also like coming back and knowing the people at the circonscription office, at the schools, at the bakery, etc. I feel very comfortable here. I just saw my lovely baker for the first time since I've gotten back (not sure where she was for the past two weeks) and so we got to catch up (in front of half the town of course). I got my first croissant since coming back and it was maybe the most delicious thing I've ever put in my mouth. Especially when compared to all of the awful ones I tried in the US this summer. My new addiction is the cappuccino from the coffee machine in the teacher's lounge at the lycee. For 40 centimes I get the same amount of coffee I would at a cafĂ© for about 4€, and it tastes pretty good too.

I also feel so much more confident teaching. I actually have an idea of what I'm doing (versus being totally clueless and freaked out at this time last year) and I have a ton of materials and games I used last year to draw upon. Mostly I'm just so happy to finally have something to do during the day! I was really, really bored the past two weeks.

No comments: