Monday, May 5, 2008

Spoke too soon

All my travel plans for next week came to screeching halt today when I found out that one of my teachers isn't striking. What's her problem, just do it! Kidding, kidding. So now I'm not sure what to do. Should I go anyway? She's the CM2 teacher and I really do need to give those kids as many lessons as possible before their evaluations to pass into sixième. But how annoying is that, to have one class that I'm going to have to get up freaking early for because I have to catch the bus, and then hang out at the school by myself doing nothing for three hours until the next bus comes by? I so don't want to go. Can I call in sick or can I just say "you know what, I'm not coming" or can I say that I'm striking too? My directeur asked me if I was striking, and then explained to me why the suppression of Saturday morning school is so bad, etc. I actually agree with the suppression of Saturday school, and with some of the educational program reforms that are being proposed, so it would be disingenuous to faire la grève. I don't think she'll care that much if I don't go. But it is a job, and I made a commitment, so I can't just not go when I don't feel like it. Stupid morals getting in the way of my travel plans...

I'm leaving for London tomorrow morning, so I guess I'll reflechir while watching the Changing of the Guard.

3 comments:

Monique Geisler said...

I'd vote for calling in sick!

I only did that once in seven months... but I guess I more than made up for it with my "personal issues" and choice to leave two months early... oops.

Anonymous said...

Tell her it's difficult for you to come in for just that one class so can you make it up at a later stage or beforehand? Chances are she'll say don't worry about it, but at least it's off your conscience.

As for the CM2 test, don't worry about this either. They all get retested again and start back from scratch once they get into college.

Leah said...

I agree with le tigre, say that it really is a hassle to come in just for one class and offer to make it up at a later date. Hopefully she'll be understanding and, if not, tant pis, she'll have no choice! Plus, that way you're not completely making something up. Bon courage!