Wednesday, May 13, 2009

Hungarian Opera

Who could ever get tired of looking at beautiful opera buildings? The Hungarian Opera is especially interesting because the grand staircase inside is inverted. Instead of the stairs facing the doorway, they face the main hall. I was too cheap to shell out for the ticket that lets you take pictures inside the main building, but it was stunning. Lots of gold. Much more ornate than the Vienna Opera, to Emperor Franz Josef's dismay.








Do you kind of see how I'm standing under the staircase to take the picture?

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Beats the Sydney Opera House!

Mmm... come to think of it, I don't even think we have an opera house in Ottawa...

kpausch said...

I went to Budapest for Toussaint in 2007, and I went to a performance of their national symphony in the opera house for a grand total of around three euros! Vive le forint :)

Keith said...

These photos are really beautiful.

au soleil levant said...

Zhu - I would love to see the inside of the Sydney Opera House. I can't imagine that the capital of Canada doesn't have an opera company! You must have something!

Katie - I was so excited to use the forint, it was at 300 to the euro when I was there.

Keith - thanks!