Tuesday, May 5, 2009

Welcome to Vienna

Our first view of Vienna as we got off the metro to go to our hotel:


The Opera is pretty impressive by daylight too:

Greenery all around the Ringstrasse:



The Rathaus, or City Hall, is Neo-Gothic in recognition of the fact that local governments began in the Middle Ages with the burghers:


The Austrian Parliament, in a Neo-Classical design to pay homage to the historical beginnings of democracy in Athens:



One of the entrances to the Hofburg Palace:

5 comments:

parlez-vous-kiwi said...

Ahhh I love Vienna.

Did you get a chance to check out the Hundertwasserhaus?

au soleil levant said...

No, unfortunately we didn't make it over there. There's so much to see in Vienna, and there's a lot that I missed! Good excuse to go back, right?

Katie said...

Great photos as well! I would love to visit Vienna one day! You seemed to have a great vacation!
I'm crossing my fingers for you as well about the job situation. hopefully we'll hear back soon!

Anonymous said...

The opera does look cool!

The Parliament makes me think of - obviously - Greek architecture, but also of the Parliament in Buenos Aires. Same inspiration I guess!

The weather looks great too.

au soleil levant said...

Katie - you should definitely visit Vienna! I loved it! Thanks for the good wishes about the job hunt.

Zhu - very neat that the Parliament in Buenos Aires resembles that in Vienna. The weather was amazing while we were away! Only one day of clouds. Very different from Picardie!