Tuesday, May 5, 2009

More Salzburg: The Sound of Music!

I was so happy that Leesa agreed to go on the Sound of Music tour with me. We took a mini-bus with six other Sound of Music lovers around Salzburg and up into the hills (you know, the ones that are alive with the sound of music). The Sound of Music was filmed entirely in and around Salzburg, the hometown of the real Von Trapp Family. It was really nice to be able to see the fantastic countryside around Salzburg, and of course to sing all the songs with our tour guide! Yeah, I was the only one singing.

The house that was used for the back of the Von Trapp mansion, including the scene where Maria and the children fall out of the boat:


The gazebo where Lisl and Rolf sing "Sixteen Going on Seventeen" and Maria and the Captain sing "Something Good:"


The church where Maria and the Captain get married:

I know, the interior doesn't look pink in the movie.

The kids and Maria dance around the Mirabell Gardens when they sing "Do Re Mi:"

The Mirabell Gardens also features a Dwarf Statue garden. They are mannerist style sculptures of real dwarves who were in the service of the Prince Archbishop. The kids pat this guy on the head as they pass by. I think this one is my favorite:


3 comments:

BlondeInFrance said...

So cool!! I definitely want to do that tour! Did they say how their house was once a music school? My flute teacher once told me her friend went there and so the school had to move when they wanted to film there. Though I don't know if it's just one of her "stories" lol . . .

au soleil levant said...

The house that's a music school too isn't this one - they used two houses, one for the front, one for the back. I couldn't get a good picture of the front house, which is still a music school, because we couldn't go right up to it. Private property or something ridiculous like that. Don't know what they did when the movie was filming there though.

It was a great tour, you should definitely do it!

Diary of Why said...

This is funny - I went on this tour several years ago and I have the EXACT same pictures as you. :) I loved it. Ahh, memories. Hope you had a great time!